The Friends of the Library of Eula and David Wintermann Library hosted their 40th Annual Dinner and Auction Sept. 21.
Following a social hour, the dinner began at 6 p.m. with a short welcome given by Chairman Lou Kelley. Lou also gave a moving tribute to Virginia Fair Wells, who began the auction and chaired it for 30 years. Following the tribute, Rev. Cathy McCorkle voiced the invocation. Monster Bites of Eagle Lake catered the chicken fried chicken dinner with trimmings.
The dinner was followed by the recognition of the winners of the Summer Reading Program conducted by the Wintermann Library. Librarian Vicki Powers presented Sergio Aguado, boy winner of third – sixth grade reading 7,350 pages, and Alejandra Valles, girl winner of the third - sixth grade reading 10,875 pages. Not present were the winners of Age four – second grade grade Maria Saucedo, who read 155 books, and Emmanuel Samaniego, who read 125 books.
Auctioneer for the evening was Todd Krenek of Garwood.
The Wall of Honor recipient was announced. The recipient for 2019 was Jeff Frnka. Michael Cooper, Chairman of the Board of the Library, presented Jeff with the award.
The Friends of the Library are pleased to announce that the club raised a total of $55,577. The funds were raised through a Benefit Drawing, Main Auction, Silent Auction, Bakery Booth, Dinner, monetary donations and different activities that were held throughout the evening. The Wintermann Foundation, thus totaling the budget for the year for the library, will match funds raised.
Following is the list of items on the Main Auction and the winners:
• Pina Colada Cake – Laura Myres
• Two Gold Reindeer and Christmas Tree – Laura Myres
• Basket of Homemade Goods – Julia & Mike Lawhon
• 4 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Tickets – Darrell Anderson
• Goose Hunt for 2 with 1 Night Lodging at “Wingswept” – Gary Broz
• Abstract Quilt – Stan Warfield
• Portrait Session by Photography by Jenn Lankford – Russell & Robin Thomas
• Framed State of Texas Flag – Sam Kana, First National Bank
• Gourmet Dinner for 8 hosted by The Thomas’ – Laura & John Myres, John & Anna Gertson, Mary Kay and Robby Cook and Tom and Vickie Kelley
• 2 Night Stay – Pot Belly Stove Cottage, Fredericksburg – Clark & Vicki Powers
• Cake-A-Month for a Year – First National Bank
• Bridge Luncheon for 12 – Maryan Gertson
• Wood Duck Oil Painting by Becky Marsalia – Jeff & Janet Cunkelman
• Chicken Fried Steak Dinner for 30 people – Russell Thomas & John Gertson
• Brass Lion Andirons for a Fireplace – Laura & John Myres
• Yellow Tonka Truck and Tractor Fully Restored – Stan Warfield
• 8 X 10 Counted Cross Stitch Picture, Picture of Choice by Winner – Russell & Robin Thomas
• Brookwood Luncheon for 8 at The Café – Helyn Farris
• 2 Texas A&M Basketball Tickets – Texas A&M vs. Troy – Clark & Vicki Powers
• Country Summer Quilt – Stan Warfield
• Hotdog & Chicken Nuggets Baskets Catering for 25 kids – Anna Gertson
• Goose Hunt for 8 at the Vineyard – Maxwell’s Meat Market
• Cookies-A-Month for a Year – Dan Gertson
• Red and Green Tonka Truck with Trailer and Tractor Fully Restored – Helyn Farris
• Family Portrait Session by Magda Jones Photography – Lou Kelley
• 2 Tickets for 2 of the Houston Texans Games – Maxwell’s Meat Market
• 4 Dozen Cinnamon Rolls – Dan & Maryan Gertson
• Certificate for a 30 Gallon Tree – IV Duncan Ranch
• Mystery Box – Rita Sunderman
• 2 Dozen Cinnamon Rolls donated back by Dan Gertson – Janet Grigar