Note: This is the first in a series of articles on the history of St. Paul Lutheran Church. This information is from a history written by Lou Cordes with help from Juanita Rabel and Bill Stein, and from the church history book complied for the 75th anniversary celebration.
The Dec. 19, 1919 edition of the Colorado County Citizen had an announcement for Lutheran services Dec. 21 at the Columbus Theatre. The morning service was delivered in German, and the evening Advent message was delivered in English.
The oldest and original women’s organization, the Lutheran Ladies Aid Society, was organized in March 1920. Since the church was not incorporated until 1922, the Ladies Aid was the “Mother” of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Columbus.
The decision to build a church was made Mar. 4, 1922. On Apr. 6, the Ladies Aid purchased the lot for the original church. According to property records, the lot was purchased for $600, with $300 cash and a promissory note for $300. This lot was located on the corner of Bowie and Spring.
The construction of the church building began in June of 1923. The church was later moved to the corner of Houston and Bowie.
The Ladies Aide also purchased a piano for the church in 1931.
The next women’s organization, the Mary-Martha Society, was organized in November 1935. They were responsible for furnishing the church with the Reuter pipe organ.